Skip to main content

2 Years Since my Adrenalectomy...would I do it again?

On September 2nd, 2010, I spent the day in one of the many operating rooms at MGH.  I had spent the night before talking and texting to friends and family, after seeing Wicked and going back to the hotel across the street from the hospital.  I cried a lot, because of the scary and fairly dangerous surgery ahead, because of the hope that this disease would FINALLY be behind me, and because of the long recovery ahead.  I woke up early and walked across the street with my mom, and my dad met us there.

The wait that morning was incredibly long, my 2 other surgeries in the 9 months prior had been very early and a pretty short wait.  I cried some more (no one should be surprised by this), and finally headed into the prep room.  I met with my surgeon one last time, and kissed my parents one last time.  As I waited in the cold, dark, cement hallway outside the numerous operating suites, a surgical resident marked the incision sites.  I knew there would be many small incisions, but having them marked out in a bright purple was not so nice.  I had dreamed of losing enough weight to be able to wear a bikini someday, but knowing I would have at least 11 scars on my abdomen alone after these surgeons were done with me I realized that would probably never happen.

I was wheeled into the OR, and positioned on a sort of bean bag on the table, as they would be operating while I was on my side to have the best access to my buried adrenal glands.

When I woke up, I was in the nicer post anesthesia care unit, with dim lights and a private room.  I felt even bigger than before the surgery, my abdomen swollen from the surgery and the extra steroids.

I knew this was the beginning of a second chance at life, the start of a healthier, happier life, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would to feel better.  For the first 2 years, I struggled with not losing weight, infection after infection, and not making a lot of decisions for myself.

This past September, I finally took my health into my own hands and started making decisions based on how I felt.  Now, a year later, I am over a hundred pounds lighter and am still working on the FEELING better part.

Would I make the same decisions now? Absolutely.  I would have taken matters into my own hands far sooner, and not waited so long.  Am I happy now?  Most days, but I would say almost half of the time it's a struggle.  I never have as many spoons as I need or want, and it's still hard to have to choose and prioritize things like resting and sleep.  I hope that things keep getting better and easier, but as I've said before, it's hard to adjust to a new normal, and some days I have to have a pity party and get over it.  It's been a very long, hard road, with countless setbacks.  This month, every free day I have is filled with appointments, it NEVER ends.

Someday, I will find peace that THIS is my life, not just this month or year, but FOREVER.  It's hard to accept that I may never have a month that is free from appointments or a year free of hospital stays or ER visits, but it is better than it ever has been since before middle school.  That says a lot.


  1. Hi Danielle.
    I have recently come across your blog and as a person who has suffered for almost seven years, still pending a diagnosis, I am inspired by all you have shared. I am going for my initial. Results follow-up visit this Thursday at the neuroedocrine clinic at MGH. I am wondering if you wouldn't mind becoming e-pals. After all this time and all the horror stories I'm afraid that I am not going to get the lab results I'm looking for. I think it would really be helpful for me to connect with someone who has already been through all this plus.fee
    Free to email me. . I wish you well,

  2. Danielle -- somehow I was guided to your blog tonight and i'm so glad I was ;) thanks for sharing your BLA surgery story....i'm facing it in 10 days and reading your 'no regrets' helps ease my anxiety ((hugs))

    1. Hi Danielle. My name is Diane. I just had my surgery Nov 7. For the most still have a stuffy nose I guess from prep med. I am having issues with getting tired at about 7. Sleeping till about 2-3 am and then being wide awake until 7 p and start cycle again. I have 6 incisions on my back. All is now and scary. But the surgery was my greatest fear. Now I am waiting to go on 22nd for follow up and testing of tumors. I fear any future adrenal crisis... as well as the unknown. I believe God will watch over me and walk I hope at times run me thru this. Any advice. How are u doing?


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talk About the Sh*t you Don't Want to Talk About

I haven't updated this blog in a very long time.  I actually deleted a ton of posts while I was applying for social security disability. I posted about Cushing's Awareness day earlier this week on facebook, so I guess I'm in a sharing mood.

Anyway, for anyone who even reads this, I was watching a documentary on Netflix about a teenager with anorexia and mental illness who found meaning in her life through yoga. (It's called I Am Maris). It's kind of the reason for this post.

To start - let's go back to June 2018. My grandmother died.  She lived a wonderful long life, but it was especially hard on me.  She was the reason I got out of bed every day, my best friend, and so much more. I actually don't remember how I got through most of the summer.

In the span of two weeks at the end of August, my mom turned 60, we went on a family vacation to the vineyard, my best friend got married, and I wanted to kill myself.  Yeah, you read that right. The day after return…

The Challenges of Getting a Diagnosis

I have been asked about this so many times, and talk about it a lot, whenever someone asks me about Cushing's.  So many people have the same experience - KNOWING you have Cushing's, and seeing 5, 10, 20, or more doctors over the course of many years before you officially have a diagnosis.  I would say this is one of the most common links I have with other "Cushies".  We all fought for a diagnosis, heard we were just fat and depressed, waited with hope after every test, until a day came when one test came back high, or a brain MRI showed a tumor in the pituitary gland.

I think the reason I haven't written about it is because it's one of the hardest things to sit down and spend time on.  It's painful, and of course, I can't help but wonder what my life might be like today if I was diagnosed sooner.  Would I have needed an adrenalectomy?  Or for that matter, a second pituitary surgery? Would I have as many health issues after Cushing's?  It's ha…

Keeping in Touch

I have found it harder and harder to keep in touch with friends lately. I feel like it should be the opposite, with these smartphones in our hands 24/7, but I just feel more isolated.

A big part of the problem it is that I live at least an hour away from most of my friends, if not more.  There's not a lot of friends that I can call last minute to say "Hey, want to do something?".  Any activity takes more planning, more effort on both sides.  I often hesitate to plan something too far in advance because I'm worried I might have to cancel if I don't feel up to it.

I tend to plan more group events where I have the control, like yearly trips to Martha's Vineyard (which is so so soon!), where I usually have my own car, and it tends to be a slower paced weekend.  I won't inconvenience anyone when I need to take a break.

I need to make more of an effort, I know that.  And if I cancel on you once or twice, don't take it personally.  It's probably just be…